Pilates – a Fitness Method
- Well, did you know that Pilates (or known earlier as Contrology) is a fitness Method developed by Joseph Pilates. He grew up with a passion for body strengthening and conditioning while he was battling asthma and other sicknesses as a child. He was strongly influenced by the Eastern Traditions of Mindful Body conditioning and he focused on calmness of the mind helping the body to relax and stretch. At the same time, he mastered the Western Approach of fitness, influenced by the ancient Greek culture of exercising the body, developing muscular tone and strengthening such as running, wrestling and gymnastics.
- The Pilates Method is a total body-conditioning workout, for both men and women, that blend Eastern and Western philosophies of physical and mental conditioning. Every workout can be modified and adjusted to each individual’s abilities, regardless of age or physical restrictions. The Pilates Method was designed to teach practitioners how to gain mastery of their minds over the complete control of their bodies. In simple words: We are all aware of the 5 senses – smell, sight, hearing, taste and touch. However, by controlling different parts of our body to produce a specific quality movement, we develop one important other sense: the one understanding how our body functions, what feels “right” or “wrong”, how to prevent ourselves from getting injured. We become able to read the signs of our own body and all this just by practicing Pilates a couple of times per week.
Pilates workouts are designed to stretch and lengthen all your major muscle groups in a balanced way. This helps to improve overall physical condition, sense of balance, muscular strength, flexibility and stamina. In addition, it develops a person’s breathing and cardiovascular function. Below are some of the common benefits that come with regular Pilates workouts:
- Create a better posture for your body
- Relieve muscle/joint related pain
- Alleviate stress
- With focus and concentration
- Increase own’s body awareness and flexibility
- Get own’s body back to pre-pregnancy figure
Our Pilates in Dubai Classes
- The Classes are designed for all ages, shapes and fitness levels. Our Pilates Studio in Dubai is a beautiful and peaceful space, fully equipped with state-of-the-art equipment including wooden reformer beds and sophisticated springboards. Our introductory Mat classes are extremely friendly for new participants. Intermediary and advanced level Tower and Reformer classes are suitable for Pilates professionals.
PILATES MAT (Class Name: MatPlus)
- Pilates Mat or Pilates without equipment is the foundation of the original Pilates method.
- Joseph Pilates designed these series of exercises so that each individual could exercise on his/her own time, away from the trainer’s supervision.
- In a Mat class you will apply the Pilates Principles while exercising against gravity. Although the Mat workout is the core of Pilates Method, not everybody can perform it.
- The trainer will provide all the necessary specialized accessories* or support to perform each exercise with accuracy and safety.
- Moreover, he will keep everyone properly challenged as per their fitness level.
*specialized accessories: flex bands, toning balls, foam rollers and spine correctors which will you take your Pilates practice to a whole new level in minimum amount of time.
PILATES TOWER (Class Name: TowerPlus)
- This class utilizes the Tower Equipment* and the Spine Correctors** to achieve the best possible results.
- It is therefor a versatile class that compliments the Mat workout.
- It is as well a great way to teach a body to move, especially for people with stiff back or spinal problems.
- Above all, it also builds overall strength, agility and helps improve the alignment of the body.
*Tower is a versatile piece of equipment that complements the Mat workout utilizing springs of different intensity and resistance.
** Spinal Correctors are the perfect equipment providing support for pregnant moms and people with postural issues.
PILATES REFORMER (Class Name: Reformer)
- The Reformer has a bed-like platform that slides back and forth within the frame. You can perform a variety of exercises in several different positions; lying on your back or on your belly, balancing on your hands and knees, sitting or even standing on top of a moving surface.
- Reformer gives you proper resistance training. By using springs and ropes, you can better learn to control your muscles during a movement. In addition, shoulder-pads and headrests help you maintain your posture, especially if you are not strong enough to control it yourself.
- Reformer also gives you the opportunity to work the whole body in a bio mechanically safe way. Subsequently, it strengthens muscles that are difficult to reach in any other way.
- Reformer is another way to practice the Pilates Method without putting stressing the spine or joints. A certified trainer helps you along in the process.
To join our pilates class, please visit our Schedule Page.